“You look like crap go home”
Those were the words uttered from my military boss and I have never felt happier!
What happened was I exercised the day before doing squats and as I was coming up from the deep end I HEARD something snap in my lower back! The thing was it wasn’t like I was lifting heavy weights, it was just the bar and it was my warm up set. (Little did I know that picking up a pen the wrong way could send your back into a spasm)
The next day as I was getting ready for work I was trying to put on my firefighter uniform which was a one piece and it literally took 20 minutes. I have NEVER felt this much pain in my life!
I finally get to work and every time when shift starts the platoon chief has a meeting with us to talk about what needs to be done during the day and if the past crew had any calls and such.
As he is talking he notices I am sitting down for five seconds then standing up for three seconds and back to sitting down, I was in complete agony! Then he told me to take the day off and I couldn’t have been happier. I knew something was wrong with my back and I wanted to get it fixed pronto!
I go to the hospital on the base and the doctor told me I have a bulged disc, I thought I was screwed!
Meanwhile I bought the TRX suspension trainer a year ago and it was in my closet hardly used as I started going to physio they gave me a bunch of stretches I started doing that for a few days and then I got bored so I pulled out the straps and then the love affair began.
I started doing planks and simple stretches using the TRX and a few weeks go by and I’m back to my normal self again!!!
I couldn’t believe it! And that’s why I’m a huge believer in what the TRX can do for anyone, doesn’t matter if you are young or old, unfit or an elite athlete the TRX is a fitness tool that you definitely want in your tool box!
Fast forward eight years later I have NEVER had an episode like that ever again and I do pretty intense exercises with the kettlebells (Turkish Get Ups and kettlebell snatches.
Now I am taking a course through ACE (American Council on Exercise) and learning about shoulder injuries, lower back and the knee. This course is by a world known knee specialist his name is Nicholas A. DiNubile M.D. and the more I read into it and from my experience. Exercise is truly going to be the medicine of the future!
If you need back surgery chances are you will waste your money? Why? Back injuries are mostly caused by your muscles going into spasm because they are either weak or they work to much and other muscles are picking up the slack. These muscles that are picking up the slack are usually the ones that go into spasm.
- If you suffer from back pain, surgery should be last on the list. Here are some tips to help you get back to yourself!
- Always Move! Movement is lotion. Don’t move and you will rust.
- Avoid bending, twisting and lifting.
- Go for a massage
- Eat better and take a vitamin D supplement (there are plenty of evidence that proper supplementation of 1,000IU of Vitamin D and 2,000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily can provide relief to chronic back pain sufferers
- Strive for perfect posture, this will lesson the load on your lower back especially if you are over weight.
- Lose weight and stop smoking. Smoking blocks the transport of oxygen and vital nutrients to discs and the rest of your spine members. This causes them to decline faster, hinders self-repair and delays or eliminates recovery from surgery.
- Try these exercises. These exercises have been proven to help 95% of the time.
Upward/downward dog – Do as many reps as you feel comfortable:
Deadbug – Make sure your lower back is pressed against the ground, do 12 to 14 reps. If the version in the video is too hard try just moving your arms, not your legs as well.
Bird Dog – Do 14-16 reps:
Plank – Hold for 15- 20 seconds:
Hamstring Stretch – Each leg hold for 45 seconds
Hip Hinge against the wall – Besides being another great stretch this is a repattering movement as well. Do 12 reps.
Low Back Relaxor
Do 3 sets of these exercises in a circuit fashion.
- If you get to this stage then surgery is probably an option for you.
Remember every single case of back pain are really unique and try these at your own risk, but what do you have to lose?